1) Keep the sutures and wound lubricated with petroleumbased moisturizer. OreganKnow healing ointment is anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory, and anti-oxidant. University testing showed OreganKnow healing ointment decreases the risk of sutured wound infections and wounds heal quicker and better with less scarring. An ointment should be applied 2-3 times per day.
2) Follow your doctor’s instructions, though in general,there is no need to keep the area dry. Clean tap water will not increase the risk of infection especially if a topical anti-microbial ointment is applied to the wound.
3) Bandages are only necessary if there is a discharge from the wound site. The suture may be covered if they are under clothing to avoid ointment staining on clothing.
4) Showers and bathing are fine but you should avoid swimming in a pond, lake or the ocean. After the stitches get wet, pat them dry with a clean cloth and reapply the healing ointment.
5) Avoid trauma to the area of sutures especially from contact sports. Otherwise most forms of exercise are permitted.
6) Children should be warned about avoiding mud and dirt so as not to contaminate the wound and thus increasing the risk of wound infections.