Get rid of oily hair with these dermatology tips and practical advice. Suggestions how to wash your hair and which shampoo to use. Instructions on correctly conditioning the hair if needed. Methods to prevent the scalp from increasing oil production
1. Shampoo more frequently: wash hair every 2-3 days. More frequent washing than this can stimulate oil glands to become overactive leading to greasier hair.
2. Use Suave Essentials Daily Clarifying shampoo as it is pH-balanced.
3. If hair is very greasy ,then after the rinse, wash a second time leaving the shampoo on for several minutes before the second rinse.
4. Do not shower your hair with very hot water as it strips the oil off the scalp and results in increased oil production.
5. In between shampoos consider Garnier Fructis Volume Extend Instant Bodifier Dry Shampoo for Fine or Flat Hair. Spray the dry shampoo on a brush and then apply to hair so the dry shampoo is not overly applied.
6. If you need a conditioner it should only be applied to the ends of the hair and not to the entire scalp. If you do condition hair then rinse well afterwards. Your hair may not be overly greasy but you are actually feeling too much conditioner on hair.
7. Oily hair often does not need conditioning as the hairs natural oil conditions the hair.
8. Keep hair short as short hair accumulates less oil.
9. Do not apply oils or waxes to hair.
10. Do not straighten the hair too much as flat hair picks up more oil from the scalp
11. Frequently clean you brushes and tools used to groom hair. You ma simply be reapplying grease and dirt back on the hair.
12. Rarely endocrine problems can present as oily hair. You may have over active endocrine glands producing androgens or male hormones. If in doubt have your doctor check it out.