Many people suffer from dry and cracked skin of the feet. In the early stages the skin is rough, itchy with peeling skin. If left untreated, cracks develop at the edges of the feet, especially by the heel. The cracks become deeper and can bleed and even be a nidus or entry point for bacterial infections. Rarely these deep cracks called fissures bleed.
There are a multitude of factors that lead to the development of cracked, dry feet. Some folks simply have a tendency to have dry feet which is occasionally exacerbated by underlying medical conditions. These include low thyroid levels, psoriasis, eczema, diabetes and fungal foot infections. If these conditions are suspected, a visit to the dermatologist might be indicated so as to receive medical attention before you embark on home remedies. Even if this is not the case, feet sweat and this moisture accumulates in socks and footwear. When shoes or sneakers are removed at night, this macerated mess evaporates and the feet dry out. Long periods of standing, especially when associated with obesity put pressure on the heels resulting in the skin splits leading to cracks. Harsh detergents in soap remove our innate or natural skin oils. Additionally, as we age our skin gets drier because of a progressive decreased ability of the skin to retain water. Finally, during the winter, cold dry air exacerbated dry, cracked skin of the feet.
Simple home remedies:
- Soak the feet in warm salty water. Pour 1/2 cup of sea salt into a footbath or a full cup into a full tub of warm water. Soak for 20 minutes and afterwards remove excess dry skin with a pumice/foot brush. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pumice-Bristle-Foot-Pedicure-Dry-Hard-Dead-Skin-Exfoliate-Brush-Scrubber/920151699
- After drying the feet, moisturize them with Oreganknow healing ointment. It not only will soothe the feet with its natural anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant qualities but it will help the skins natural barrier repair.
- For stubborn, very thick, dry heals consider Urea 40+ cream before bed time. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Urea-Cream-40-Plus-2-Salicylic-Acid-Cream-Dermatologist-Recommended-One-Step-Exfoliating-Skin-Moisturizer-Foot-Therapy-4oz-by-UREA-40/420474679. If fissures or cracks are deep, this product may sting or burn so only start once these deep cracks start to heal.
- Continue these suggestions until the skin starts to appear normal and then switch to Oreganknow healing ointment 2X per day as prophylactic.
- Rember to see your dermatologist if you suspect a treatable underlying cause to your cracked dry feet.